Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Guitar Lesson #3 -- Ouch!

Last night I had my third guitar lesson. I was able to spend more time this week practicing so I was feeling good about my finger placement. Before my lesson I tuned my guitar all by myself (pat on the back). This time we worked on chords and I was struggling. I would get my fingers perfectly placed thinking "this is not so hard" but then my pudgy fingers (see post about my small hands) would touch the strings that shouldn't be touched and the result was bad. I was pressing so hard on the strings and trying as hard as I could to move things around that I didn't realize the pain in my fingers until I released them. Ouch! So this morning I woke up thinking the pain would be gone but it is still there. I heard that it hurts your fingers in the beginning, but I didn't realize the soreness would linger...no pain, no gain.

Another thing I didn't realize is how slow it takes to learn to play. This is my first time learning to play any instrument so I had no clue about anything. If it wasn't for a guy at work helping me get my guitar I probably would still be "thinking" about doing it. So for the next few months I am going to put aside other hobbies and focus on playing my guitar. Last night's lesson became more than just checking "learn to play guitar" off my list...when he showed me how to make actual music I felt a passion to learn as much as I could. Up until now I wasn't taking it seriously -- yes I would take time to practice, but it wasn't something I loved. I'm excited now about practicing and getting better at it. I'm a "things" person. I like to have something to show for the time or money I spent. Like with sewing or cake decorating I have a product to show for the progress I made, but with guitar I have nothing to show besides my self improvement.

Stay tuned for Guitar Lesson #4!

No comments:

Post a Comment