Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Weekly Dinners

Blake has been off orders for the past 3 weeks so dinner time is back in full swing. We have a regular sized pantry full of food with "nothing to eat" so a few weeks ago I took inventory of the freezer and pantry to make lists of meals. I came up with 8 meal options (2 weeks of dinner)...not bad for "nothing to eat". Finally, our pantry started to look bare and the freezer only had bagged vegis and some old ice cream. The meals I prepare take about 30 minutes to an hour to cook. If using chicken in a casserole, I try to cook it the night before while doing laundry or some other chore. If I'm browning hamburger meat I just do it all at one time and half it for another meal later. But I have found that "meals in a box" are delicious! And we love the skillet meals, but there isn't enough food for 3 so I throw in 2 cups of frozen vegetables to make more of it.

Week of May 8 -14:
Sunday - leftovers from cookout and lunch
Monday - Chicken and rice "meal in a box" with broccoli
Tuesday - Blake's Birthday Dinner at restaurant
Wednesday - Soft tacos with hamburger meat and fruit
Thursday - Sloppy Joes Hamburger Helper
Friday - Night out
Saturday - Leftovers or Frozen Pizza

It's nice planning ahead for the week because Blake can help if he gets home before me. Also, if I need to grab an ingredient or two I can stop by the grocery store on the way home. I have meetings or things to go to at least once a week but we plan to eat before 5:30 so I am usually able to eat together as a family before going.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I've also decided meal planning is the way to go....it saves so much more money than not being prepared and not using what you have! I think I am going to start making trips to the commissary for the meats because no one can beat their prices there and I think I will switch my e-mealz to "any store" instead of Publix since I don't have one nearby any more...Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete