Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Starting Cookie Decorating

I bought a book a few weeks ago on cookie decorating after I started following blogs about it. I love to see the different styles people come up with. Decorating a cookie is like making edible art work. I bought a few cookie cutters to start: round circle, bikini top and bottom (also could be used for lingerie showers), elephant (roll tide!), airplane (Blake's going away party), 5 point crown (ZTA), margarita glass, breast cancer ribbon, and the number '3' (Bailey's birthday-party favors).

My alumnae chapter was having a bowl-a-thon to raise money for our foundation and philanthropy (Breast Cancer Awareness and Education) so I thought it would be a perfect time to try out my new book. The recipe is easy to work with and tastes great with the icing. The first day I did the large round cookies with pink sprinkles - these were called "Hot Pink Sparkling Bowling Balls". The next day I iced the breast cancer ribbons and they turned out really cute. I am going to submit them to the website I bought the cutter from - they said if they use your cookie then you get a free cutter which isn't much but it would be neat to have my cookie posted for ideas.
I enjoyed doing these over actually baking cakes because it is less stressful. These dry and can be packaged really cute where as a butter cream cake can fall apart on your way to the event. So I am going to start doing these for my friend's showers and personal events to start with and see how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. And the cookies tasted as wonderful as the looked! You are so talented! It was so nice to see you and your family at the Bowl-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good to see you too! I had fun with everyone - we are going to start a lunch bunch and a dinner crew alternating month so we can catch up more often.

    ReplyDelete