Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Crafting on a Budget

For the past two weeks Blake has been looking for a job. The 3 month orders he was going to get were not funded. It was a shock at first but we are doing great. Nothing is in our hands and I can't control anything so I'm trying not to worry about it. In the mean time we have been cutting out our spending. We are bagging our lunches, eating dinners at home, spending more time at home, accomplishing more projects, I dyed my hair brown to avoid the $80 highlights due this week and in another 8 weeks after that... It's been good changes and we are adjusting. It's unfortunate because he loves flying and there isn't anything available in that field right now so he is going to go back to the banking industry or some other job until pilot school (fingers crossed and prayers...lots of them). So over the past 2 weeks I have deleted my emails about the "new clothes that just arrived this week!" I have cut back on my trips to Michaels, HL, and JoAnns and I am making things out of fabrics and materials I already own. I have made 2 elephant stuffed animals with ribbon tags, 3 bibs (still in progress), 2 Christmas shirts for Bailey, and painted a few other things with paint I already had. I have also been using the mess out of that cricket! Wow! I knew I would love that thing once I started using it. I didn't know it could make those cupcake flags until last week so I made 40 "S" flags for the baby shower I am co-hosting this Saturday for my good friend who is having TWINS. I had been busy knocking out projects for that as well (Painted Letters, 2 diaper cakes, 40 elephant cookies, 40 cupcakes...). And then there is the monogram machine still sitting in the box in the corner of my craft/spare bedroom. I use it to organize my cricket creations...so it is getting some use :) So it's not so bad not having money to do things as long as you fill your time up with things you love like family and craft projects. Bailey loves "helping" me with crafts so I'm trying to do some things she can "help" me with.

2 comments:

  1. I want to see the cupcake toppers! My sister just got one of those machines and I am curious how you do those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to use them! I was so mad. I knew there was something missing but couldn't put my finger on it until I found the bag of them in the passenger seat. They are really cute though.

    ReplyDelete