Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sewing Scrubs

I started making a pair of scrubs for my SIL. I forgot how long it takes to cut out the pattern and then cut out the fabric. I spent two hours doing just the top on Sunday afternoon! I still need to cut out the pants, but that is only 2 pieces (thank goodness). The sewing part goes by my faster once you understand what you are doing--I'm getting my mother's help on the shirt because I have never done sleeves before. So in total the time it takes to make a shirt will be 4 hours and at least 2 hours on the pants. Cost of all the fabric, elastic, and thread $15. So the question is: Is it worth making them or buying them? Lets just say minimum wage...$8/hour ($8 x 6 hours = $48+$15 supplies = $63). BUY THEM at the store! There is a scrubs outlet here in town where everything is always 40% off...on average: $15 for the pants and $25 for the tops...$40 for the outfit!!! Yes...lots cheaper than $63. I love my SIL and will make her scrubs anytime she asks for them (just give me a month)...but only because I love her...not for the money. I also wanted to see if I could do it. I love a challenge and being able to make others happy with what I make them. I'm really excited to see how they turn out--hopefully I will finish by next weekend (fingers crossed). Pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment